Re: Beginner Processing Questions

Subject: Re: Beginner Processing Questions
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 am (PDT)
Thanks for the opportunity to share impressions
Matt! You might try running "master" as an
archive search. There are some very long strings
on the subject of EQ within the context of
mastering for a known product in post production.

I prefer the original of the two because the two
primary elements preserved in the recording (a
machine-oriented drone and the thrush) retain
more overall relation and tonal balance. The
dish, or some other factor, has attenuated most
of the lower-end energy of the original setting.
Lows are critical for space because they
establish the sound horizon-- sounds that are
distant relative to those that are close. The
last time i did a crude test, about 70% of the
energy, even in my remote location recordings,
was under 700Hz, much of that under 125Hz.
Perhaps using more low-end roll-off in your
equalization further challenged a quest for more
balance. (There are others more familiar with
dishes who can talk about the way they shape the
low-end-- or another subject you can search in
the archive.

Recordings like this one can be very effective
mixed into a full range ambient stereo "bed."
Once you have a recording of an actual space and
understand its strengths, then its easier to
experiment with EQ and simple time delays and
simple reverb patches to get reflections that are
consistent with the acoustics of the space.
Without spatial cues to start with, its very hard
for me to figure out what the heck I'm even
trying to do! Yes, posting presents issues of
subjectively, but  if recording can be considered
an "art," it might stem from the ability to
capture enough cues in the field to be able to
build upon them consistently through the whole
process.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts