Beginner Processing Questions

Subject: Beginner Processing Questions
From: "Matt Goff"
Date: Mon May 29, 2006 9:58pm(PDT)
I finally got around to building a handle for the Telinga dish and pair of =

Shure 183 mics that I purchased some months ago.  Thanks to all the
various folks on this list for the help along the way (including those
with webpages with diagrams for the handle; I did not follow the plans
exactly, but I got something workable which I will try to photograph and =

document on-line sometime soon).

So for the last couple of evenings I went out with the dish and did some =

recording of Swainson's Thrushes singing around my house.  The neighbors =

and boat traffic were not entirely cooperative, but I did manage to get a =

few verses without obvious talking or boat engine noise.  However, I did =

record in a location where there was a steady fairly quiet, but audible =

hum (mostly from pumps that run constantly to supply water to a
wetlab/aquarium just down the hill from where we live).

I work on a pretty tight budget for sound stuff, so I am using Audacity to =

do whatever processing I need to, for now.

My ears are fairly untrained so I am wondering what kinds of things I
should listen for to determine if I am overdoing the processing.
I have put up two versions of a clip from my recent recordings at
http://www.sitkanature.org/temp_photo/05-27thrush.html

One of them is the original version, the second is a filtered version
where I did both high and low pass filters (though I am not sure exactly =

how those work, I kind of understand what's happening) and amplified the =

result somewhat.

Thanks for the help,

Matt Goff