Re: Desiccant

Subject: Re: Desiccant
From: Kent Sparling <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:19:34 -0700
hey tim:

when i went to the coast of vera cruz a few years ago i took a
borrowed schoeps CMXY 4V mic pair
and wept copious tears when it failed after the first 1/2 hour
recording -
and this was just in a town by a big river - not even rainforest
environment

i was however able to bring the mics back to life nightly
by packing them up in desiccant each evening - not ideal, but it worked

also i would advise one of the new pelican micro cases, like the 1030,
to use when you are transporting the mics - pack it with desiccant
and it seals up pretty
darned near watertight

i would certainly take a second pair of mics of some kind
so you don't find yourself skunked when the beautiful schoeps collapse
in the moist tropical air

you can borrow my AT825
but my neumanns won't help you!

cheers