Introduction and Transferring MD to Laptop

Subject: Introduction and Transferring MD to Laptop
From: "Matt Goff" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:06:00 -0900
I suppose it would not hurt to say a little about myself:  I have been=20
reading this list since sometime in 2003, though the first time I sent a =

message was just recently (I found out about it after reading Bernie=20
Krause's book, which I seem to remember hearing about from an interview he =

did on NPR).  I have been slowly acquiring equipment to do recording over =

that time, including a Sharp MD-DR7-a minidisc recorder, a Rode NT-4, a =

telinga (dish only),  and most recently a pair of Shure WL183s.  I did a =

little bit of recording with the NT-4, but it did not seem to suit my=20
needs (I like to get out hiking and it's fairly heavy, plus it was pretty =

sensitive to noise from hand holding).   I think the WL183s will probably =

work a little better for me.

I live in Sitka, Alaska (where I grew up-- though I spent most of=20
1993-2002 going to college and graduate school).  I am a=20
mathematician/statistician by training (I teach at Sheldon Jackson College =

and do some consulting work).  However, my primary interest intellectually =

at this time is the natural history of the Sitka area.  I consider myself =

an aspiring naturalist and my technique of learning has been to get out, =

take pictures, and come back home to see if I can figure out what I saw.  =

I put most everything up on my websites at
http://www.nawwal.org/mrgoff/
and/or more recently,
http://www.sitkanature.org/
Currently, the vast majority of the content is photos, but I would like to =

start adding audio; especially of things like the local birds.

Anyway, on to my question:

I just started trying to transfer some of my recordings from the minidisc =

recorder to my laptop through the microphone jack and realized that all I =

was getting was mono.  A quick search on the internet led me to realize =

that I would need to purchase an external soundcard to get stereo=20
transfers.  Are there recommendations for such a card?  The reading I have =

done makes me think that a USB card would be good.  Can I get one that=20
will allow me to transfer the audio digitally rather than through analog?  =

If I must do the analog conversion, are some cards dramatically better=20
than others?  I am not sure whether the specific concerns of nature=20
recording limit the acceptable possibilities and I would rather not=20
purchase a card to find out it is inadequate (on the other hand, I don't =

have loads of money, so a relatively inexpensive solution would be helpful =

as well).

Thanks,

Matt Goff