Re: MBHO microphones

Subject: Re: MBHO microphones
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:36:23 -0600
At 11:52 AM -0800 3/22/06, derek holzer wrote:

<snip>

>So the more I look at these MBHOs for my M/S setup, the more I like
>them. I'll probably listen to them at the end of this week in Portland,
>but I just wanted to know--do you think these things give enough bang
>for the buck, or should I save a bit longer and go for the MKHs? One
>thing that I really appreciate about the MHBO set is that adding new
>pickup patterns to my toolkit is a lot cheaper when it just involves
>getting new capsules rather than whole new mics.

Hi Derek--
Truth is, the anxiety will always be there unless one can listen to
and compare them. If Cascade will let you A/B the MBHO pair with a
MHK 30/40 pair, in my book, they'll rate as co-dealer of the year
(along with Dan Dungan's operation). Using the small 603 amps with a
fig 8 cap and hyper cardioid cap could make you very happy. During
the field test, especially note whether the mbho fig 8 cap is a good
match with the mid-- quite a few fig 8 capsules have lower output and
higher noise which compromises the overall performance. Your 722 has
m-s monitoring ready for the test, but also listen to the caps
discretely. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department