Arctic Nat. Wildlife Refuge 2006 Soundscape Proj.

Subject: Arctic Nat. Wildlife Refuge 2006 Soundscape Proj.
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:04:05 -0800
To everyone in the group:

The soundscape of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge has never been
recorded from the perspective of whole habitats. Because of many
complex issues relating to pending climate changes and natural
resources, this is the last year one can expect to capture those
spectacular natural sounds in a state of relatively "normal" dynamic
equilibrium. Furthermore, the window of opportunity to do that is
very narrow and quickly approaching (1 - 15 June) and we'll need to
be there from the last week May. Toward that end, I have put together
a soundscape proposal designed to capture parts of three
representative habitats within the refuge. To accomplish this
mission, three teams led by Martin Stewart, Kevin Colver and me will
collect and archive MS 44.1/24 bit examples from three different
biomes. One in the 1002 caribou calving area where drilling is
expected. One on the North Slope closer to the Canadian border where
global warming has had a profound effect. And one south of the Brooks
Range around the headwaters of the Sheenjek River around Last Lake.
Because time is so short, we must put in place all of the ground
support infrastructure well in advance of such studies especially in
Alaska.

To that end, we are appealing to every member of the group to help
support this effort with contributions from $10 - 100, or anything
you feel is appropriate.

Harvard has provided some funding for this project, as have the US
Fish & Wildlife Service with in kind support because everyone
realizes just how fragile this resource (natural soundscape) is
within that site. We have also received support from a number of
private individuals, the Northern California Audubon Society, and
even the Maine Community Foundation. We are even seeking "in kind"
support from Alaska Airlines.  Our non-profit 501 c3 sponsor is The
Murie Center, in Moose, WY, so all contributions to that organization
(specifying the Arctic Soundscape Project) are tax deductible.

These calibrated recordings will be used as base-line data for
further research in the refuge and archived at a number of
institutions such as the US Fish & Wildlife offices and the
University of N. Carolina, Greensboro Natural Soundscape Facility,
among others. It will also be used for community outreach programs
related to a deeper understanding of the importance of conserving
biophonies throughout the world.

A copy of the two-page proposal and donor information can be found at
http://www.wildsanctuary.com/research.html

And we all thank you for your interest in this important work and are
ever grateful for your thoughts and attention.

Bernie Krause, PhD
--
Wild Sanctuary
P. O. Box 536