Re: Edirol R-4 and performance

Subject: Re: Edirol R-4 and performance
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 00:15:01 -0600

At 5:35 AM +0000 3/6/06, oryoki2000 wrote:

>I don't understand the logic behind this design "feature" of the 744T
>(other than to protect the sales of Sound Devices field mixers).
>
>--oryoki

Perhaps Dan has had his 722 open and can confirm this, but I was told
that the mic pre circuit requires a significant percentage of the
744T's footprint. SD wanted to keep the unit small as small as
possible while including needs like timecode that film/video folks
require.  We may not appreciate this priority but its the film/video
buyers that represent the majority of users, not nature recordists,
of course.

R-4 =   8254mm (W) x 221.8mm (D) x 72.2mm (H) weight: 1.7 kg

744T =  209mm (W) X 125mm (D) X 45mm (H) weight: 1.2 kg

Rob D.