Re: Edirol R-4 and performance

Subject: Re: Edirol R-4 and performance
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:42:01 -0800
oryoki, you wrote,

>The Sound Devices 744T ($4000) has four analog input channels, but
>only two have knobs on the front panel to control preamp gain.  The
>other two inputs are line level only, and control gain through the
>software menu.  Phantom power is only available for the first two
>channels.  This means you will need a separate preamp/mixer for
>channels 3 and 4.
>
>I don't understand the logic behind this design "feature" of the 744T
>(other than to protect the sales of Sound Devices field mixers).

I've always assumed that it was physical; where are you going to put
two more XLR connectors? And two more preamps.

When people in the movie and TV business have three or four mics, at
least two of them are usually wireless. The receivers have line level
outputs.

That said, I'd sure like to have four mic inputs on it, too.

I tested the R-1 preamps, and found them similar in noise to my Sharp
MDs. So I suspect R-4 is fine with high-output mics.

-Dan Dugan