Re: 722 HiMD MicroTrack Test#2

Subject: Re: 722 HiMD MicroTrack Test#2
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:53:50 -0600
Hi--
I re-did the test comparing Rode Nt1-A mics (5.5dBA self noise)
through the 722, HiMD & Microtrack pres/recorders.

As I suspected, the whine on one segment in the first test was from a
computer in sleep mode in the next room when the door was cracked
open a tiny bit. The traffic rumble is at 3am on a Monday morning-
the least I can get, basically. The playback levels are matched both
by ear and by measurement and splitting the difference. This gives a
lower Hz weighting which actually makes the hiss differences less
noticeable.

I added another test segment inserting an MP2 external mic preamp
before the Microtrack's line input.

The relative levels matched test #1  in terms of levels which is
encouraging except MT's mic input was a little closer to -21dB of the
reference NH-900's, rather than -20dB. The splkes you can see @ ~14K
are in the Rode mics.  The spikes show much more with the 722 and the
MP2->MT. Rob D.

Two versions:
Larger with uncompressed 48K/16 sound:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicroTrack_NH900_722Compare2.mov