Re: 183 and Marantz 670 questions (was questions

Subject: Re: 183 and Marantz 670 questions (was questions
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:38:00 -0600
Hi Ken--
Sorry, we recenty covered 183 questions like
those you pose.  I was going to suggest that you
search the naturerecordist archive, but, boy, its
not a very useful search engine! [Aside: I have
the 2001 to present naturerecordist posts in a
94mb Eudora mailbox which one could import into
most email apps to search with much more
accuracy.  Anyone have some host space for it
somewhere? I could make it available for a few
days,..]

Yes, Curt's site is a very good source for 183
mounting ideas including wind screens. Boundary
mics have a hemispherical polar pattern, except
for the low Hz's where the pattern is
omni-directional.  Crown Audio has a good
application/info sheets on pzm/boundary mics:
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/136367.pdf
Gerry also has some photos in the photo files on
the list with other mount ideas. Dan Dugan posted
his 183 photos and .pdf recently too.   About the
Marantz 670 recorder, its not been compared in
side by side tests yet, maybe some users can
comment.

It can help one weigh a salesperson's suggestions
to ask if they have personal experience recording
sounds in the field with the gear in question.
We've learned its probably unwise to accept
manufacturer literature claims as fact.

If you save your posts, and are considering
getting a recorder with phantom mic powering, you
might want to read the recent posts about the
183's vs the AT 3032's.  Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson