Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise

Subject: Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:55:01 +0200
Hi Klas,
         the Sennheiser K6 was the less tested microphone; as soon as
possible I'll repeat the comparison with the Rode (my reference now)
and the others. But I would say that the K6 is more than 10 years old!

Concerning the Rode NT1A, I used them in very bad weather conditions
(temperature ranging from 4 to 9 Celsius, with fog, rain and wind); I
protected them with a cotton handkerchief and they worked reasonably well.
After that experience I did a wind protection for them by cutting two
soft wool socks!

By the way, I experienced the Murphy's law in a 3 days trip to record
deers at night: the first night was rainy, the second was foggy and
windy, the third night the weather was fine, but the recorder did not work!

Gianni

At 00.28 19/10/2005, you wrote:

>Fine test, Gianni!
>
>Happy about EM23. 7 db more noise than NT1A would be around 14 db, which i=
>expected.
>
>I'm surprised about the Sennheiser, though. I thought they would have an
>even fight with the EM23.
>
>Both my NT1A are now malfunctioning. They make low frequent noise and even
>popcorn noise. I am 99% sure it's the polarizing voltage leaking between
>membrane and electrode, cause of micro-dirt and moist. When warm and dry
>they work fine.
>
>Klas.

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921