Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise

Subject: Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:38:33 -0500
Interesting testing Gianni, thanks a lot.

I found a computation that Bob Cain did for the
mic2496 which concluded, "the pre equivalent
noise (due to their EIN related back through the
[MKH-40's mic's sensitivity of 25mV/Pa]) would be
12 dBA for the mic2496."  This casts the mic2496
as noisy compared to the MP2 which he also
computed.

I'm wondering if there's consistency between
Bob's spec and your findings. For example when
you write:

>Thus, to evaluate the real mics noise I used the Mic2496 digitally
>connected to the PDAudio system based on an old iPaq (the MT2496
>could be used for digital recording as well) or the MOTU.

are you using the Mic2496's A-D mic pre circuit
to compare the mics?  If so, there should also be
masking of the noise produced by the NT1A by this
pre circuit. Or maybe you're using another pre
when you come up with the absolute mic self noise
rankings?

>  "the Mic2496 offers greater gain and less noise than the MT2496.."

This suggests to me that MT2496's TRS mic pre
might not be as suitable as other pres we have
become accustomed to for nature ambient recording
in quiet settings.  However, is it possible that
the "digital boost" in the MT2496's menu setting
is the "Hi Setting" to obtain the higher ~55dB
gain?

I also find it surprising that the MOTU's pre
noise performance would be only a 6-7dB
improvement over the Mic2496. Thanks again, Rob D.

At 9:28 PM +0200 10/18/05, Gianni Pavan wrote:
>Hi all,
>       I tried to figure out how different mics could behave with the
>MT2496 and the Mic2496 while recording in a quiet environment. My
>target was to understand more of the relationships among sensitivity,
>self noise and mic preamplifier noise.
>
>Here the equipment I used:
>
>MAUDIO MT2496 --> 2GBCF
>CoreSound Mic2496 --SPDIF--> MAUDIO MT2496 --> 2GB CF
>CoreSound Mic2496 --TosLink--> CoreSound PDAudio CF --> iPaq 3870 --> 2GB =
CF