Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise

Subject: Re: MT2496 pre noise masks mic noise
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:32:26 +0200 (MEST)
Hi Gianni,

Thanks for reporting your detailed tests on the MT2496. My own trials
initially confirmed your findings regarding the relatively high self-noise
level.

However, when I activate the '27dB TRS Boost' option, the inherent noise
floor gets significantly lower. This is something what I had not expected
because the manual says that this option would only activate a "digital
boost". Obviously, the manual does not tell the full story.

I tried both a Rode NTA-1 and a Sennheiser K6/ME66 in a quiet room. To get
an idea whether the pre-amp was good enough, I temporarily attached a dummy
resistor (180 ohms) instead of the microphones. A "good enough" preamplifie=
should exhibit at least a slightly lower noise floor when the dummy resisto=
is attached instead of the microphone (at the same recording level settings
of course). It turned out that the MT2496 preamp noise level is well below
that of the K6/ME66 (I compared the noise by ear and by spectrogram
observation). However, when I compare the Rode NT1-A with the dummy
resistor, the noise floors are about the same, which means that the preamp
is not really good enough for getting the full potential out of the NT1-A.

So, the bottom line is that the MT2496 should be good enough for recording
soft sounds from a Sennheiser K6/ME microphone when the '27dB TRS Boost'
option is activated.

To me, the most annoying peculiarity of the MT2496 is that the firmware
booting procedure lasts almost 20 seconds.

Raimund Specht
www.avisoft.com

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f=FCr Mail, Message, More +++