RE: respectful, "topic" question

Subject: RE: respectful, "topic" question
From: "Don Lloyd" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:13:08 -0700
There are trainrecordists, of course. Don Hunter comes to mind:

        http://natural-history.uoregon.edu/Pages/dh_virtual_tour/home.html

A major part of his legacy consists of many archival recordings of steam
locomotives all over the Pacific Northwest, captured in the 40=92s and 50=
=92s
when they were still operating. He wanted to preserve certain soundscapes
that he knew were vanishing. The recordings that are being done right now i=
Muir Woods and other parks will eventually have historic value as well.
While I can thoroughly enjoy listening to Hunter's recordings, just now I
can't imagine deriving pleasure from listening to airplanes.

(In keeping with the microphone tech threads, I=92ll mention that Hunter bu=
ilt
his own mic=92s in the 30=92s, using cigar boxes and graphite.)

-- Don