Re: ME-62 and HiMD pre noise floor

Subject: Re: ME-62 and HiMD pre noise floor
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:57:34 -0500
Assuming a NH-900 HiMD mic pre reference, I'm pretty sure the answer
is "no." I believe the noise component from an ME-62 is above the
noise floor this pre, assuming the noise/output performance on
batteries equals that of phantom*

I can use A/B comparisons and tests we've done to determine this. I
used Rich's ME62's (in the famous "block head" fixture ) with my
MBHO's and MKH-110's in an array a while back. Here's how the mics
spec.

SennheiserME62          17 dB(A)        20 mV/Pa
MBHO603a/KA100DK        14 dB(A)        12 mV/Pa        *
Sennheiser MKH-110      15 dB(A)        24 mV/Pa

A. I addressed the noise in these 3 stereo recordings with EQ over
several days of mixing. I would not give any mic a clear edge in
noise performance. Though the kinds of noise(es) they make are
different, they're pretty much on par, percentage wise, for most
ears. This comparison was under maximum gain in a quiet location.

B. In 6 mic arrays with NT1A's, MBHO and a MH 30-40, the noise
performance ranking, starting with the quietest, is quite obvious:
NT1A's-> MKH 30/40-> MBHO's.

C. In tests comparing the NT1A to the MHK 30-40 through the
Rolls->NH900, one can hear an increase in noise from Nt1A->MKH 30/40.

There are several folks who are testing their phantom powered
condenser mics with a Rolls on HiMD recorders. Eventually, we might
better understand which mics are a good ticket for low noise
performance with HiMD, which work better with phantom powering
compared to battery or even that they have pad that can be removed.
With a Rolls and a (cheap) quiet pre as a reference, such findings
are much easier to identify compared to where we were 6mos ago. I
think John hopes to A/B compare the 660 pre with the HiMD pre using
his NT1A's and Rolls. It is exciting that we might get a better grasp
on factors that really impact end results. Rob D.

* I'm suspicious of this sensitivity figure. From A/B tests, I get it
closer to 28mV/PA, maybe something happened in the German translation
of the on-line specs?

  =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson