Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2

Subject: Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:24:32 -0500
At 12:07 PM -0700 8/30/05, Dan Dugan wrote:
>DAN:
>
>I don't think there's much point in worrying about the number of bits
>in low-level sounds unless you're doing theater or film and they
>become high-level sounds.

Not only is there significant additional noise
and distortion upon ampification, the ability to
use equalization processing to good effect is
significantly reduced if working with 5 opposed
to 8 bits of data. I suspected this for seveal
years and finally made up clips with a range of
low saturations to test. I recall there was a 6dB
increase in broadband noise above 2k between 1%
and 3% saturation for example.

>Ah, but when that raven or owl calls right over your head, do you
>want it lost forever in distortion? Again, a matter of style. Having
>grown up on analog=A2>=A4=E8really enjoy -using- the dynamic range of
>digital.

You're right, a raven calling as he flew right
over the array in the same forest produced 3
clipped samples. Drats! I lost 1/16,000 of a
second.  I do appreciate the overhead but the
dynamic range in quiet natural settings here in
the upper mid west is safely within 24dB, barred
owls directly overhead included. I do fear losing
a close coyote chorus someday, but in the
meanwhile I'll get the others with extra bits.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department