Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2

Subject: Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2
From: Michael Gallagher <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:42:19 +1000
Thanks Dan for your draft procedure for amateur recording in parks.

I very much like your term" "attended soundscape monitoring". The
simultaneous taking of field notes is an essential part of making
scientifically credible sound recordings.

I am interested in relating bird vocalization to bird behaviour. I
usually make written notes while recording. My recordings have far more
value, if I observe alertly and take notes while recording is in
progress.

I am particularly interested in solving the problem of increasing the
accessibility of notes taken in the field and linking them more
directly to the associated sound recordings.

In notebooks, I have linked written observations to MiniDiscs via
recording session number label entries. The notes remain rather
inaccessible, however, unless I take the time to transcribe them into
into database records. More recently, I have begun note keeping via a
Palm PDA. I enjoy the convenience of feeding those notes directly into
a computer via the sync cradle.

I usually start a field note by pasting the time from the PDA's clock.
I work with sound files in Peak 4. I am experimenting with placing
notes taken in the field into sound files as markers. I would like to
be able to specify the start time of a track so that times in my
written notes corresponded directly to times in the audio track.

I would like to know more about the "Soundscape" Palm software
developed by the Park Service that you wrote of. Is it available for
purchase?

Thanks for posting your draft recording procedures. I wish you and your
volunteer team every success in persuading the wider community of the
value of your threatened woodland.

Regards

Michael Gallagher