Re: SD 722 or Marantz 671 (Oade Modified)

Subject: Re: SD 722 or Marantz 671 (Oade Modified)
From: "JR" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:25:45 -0000
Hi

The HIMD plus the 722, next thing you will be suggesting buying a new
Sony supersize LCD to go with the HIMD :)))))))

It has been a couple of years since I investiated the MD option and
then my recollection is transfer was via line in. If the Sonicstage
software works, this could be tempting.

Thanks again,
John

--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:
> I'm not suggesting anyone consider a NH-900 or RH-900 HiMD recorder
> _instead of_ a 722, of course.
>
> Not sure why HiMD transferring has bad rap in some circles. Here's
> the HiMD USB uploading "frustration" I endure:
>
> 1.Sonicstage 3.1 loads the 1GB HiMD disc on the "Transfer" side of
a window.
> 2. Set the location where you want the converted sound files
> (16/44.1K .wav) to go. (Or use the same location you used the last
> time by default)
> 3. Select All (or some) of the sound files on your 1GB disk.
> 4. Click on the Big Red "Transfer" arrow.
> 5. Go get coffee.
>
> On my $100 used 512Hhz (98me 128 mb ram) PC laptop, transferring 94
> minutes takes 40 minutes. I hear its 4 times faster on a  current
> desktop. I place my converted files on an external firewire hard
> drive so they go where I'll edit them, first time. I back these
data
> files up on DVD-R for 10/hr.  and erase and reuse the 1GB disc.
>
> The 722 is drag and drop-- but only to the PC or Mac's internal
disc-
> not directly to external drives where files are stored and edited.
> That requires another step.  The transfer speed is ~ 4mbs, about
> twice as fast as HIMD, but that gets eaten up with the double
> transfer. The HiMD 1GB discs go home and are transferred at home at
> my leisure & no field fussing. The Sony HiMD discs have _never_
> failed to mount first time. The 722 does fail to mount, first time,
> from time to time.  Haven't lost anything on the 722 or 744. I had
> one bad 1GB disc that failed to transfer the last recording on it.
It
> was a defective disc.
>
> Any other reservations? I'm trying get my old job back at Sony. Rob
D.

>   =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D
>
> At 4:52 AM +0000 8/20/05, JR wrote:
> >Hi Rob,
> >I have watched colleagues struggle working with MDs trying to get
> >their files onto their computers and getting frustated in the
> >process. I am not a patient person and doing an analog transfer is
> >not for me.
> >I visit minidisco enough to know the HIMD may be an improvement
over
> >the MD of a couple of years ago ,but from what I understand the
Sonic