Re: Re: SD 722 or Marantz 671 (Oade Modified)

Subject: Re: Re: SD 722 or Marantz 671 (Oade Modified)
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:28:50 -0500
Originally naturerecordidsts, but I'm cross-posting to
micbuilders where there's probably more interest.

I, Mike Feldman, wrote:

> JR wrote:
>> What was the decision process that resulted in the 722 decision?

> I put in an order... still waiting.

The 722 arrived yesterday at 2pm giving me enough time to
charge it's battery for another show I wanted to record.
I didn't have time to go through the user's manual completely
but I had enough to be dangerous.  1st important accessory
was the Kensington security cable that usually holds the
laptop to my desk at work ... held the 722 to the outdoor
stage.  Ran spaced omni's for the first time (usually do
Jecklin disk, but that's limiting with this band's
vocal monitor layout.  Rolling ... easy to set levels --
NICE METERS!  Monitor sound good.

But -- was getting loud pops in left channel (sounded like
phantom power pops, but it might have been no shock mount)
was running Earthworks omnis and they draw close to max
phantom current.  Moved left mic for 2nd set, but still
got pops.  Hoped it was faulty headphone channel, but
no, pops prominent on all of the .wav's in left channel.

This morning grabbed cable tester and checked cables
I was using (added a pair to my usual 2-chan snake),
and sure enough the left cable had a solid fault between
shield and pin 1 while none of the others did.

I don't understand exactly how that causes the pops, but
it does make the cable a capacitor to charge up.  Also
the outdoor stage was under a comm tower with lots
of cell, pager, 2-way and FM RF soup.

http://feldman.gidnoy.com/movies/ if anyone's interested in (OT!) music.