Re: Re: no FAQ for a beginner?

Subject: Re: Re: no FAQ for a beginner?
From: Karl Lucas <>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
Dan,

I'm a beginner but here's what I just did to record on a two week trip to St.
John USVI:

1. Bought a Sony model 707 minidisk recorder on ebay with 25 disks for <$75
2.  Used my old DAK shotgun microphone (still available from DAK)

3.  Downloaded Audacity

4.  Connected line out from recorder to line in on my PC

With this hook-up you have to play the disks in real time to save to the PC.
Some newer high density minidisk recorders allow you to download via USB from
the recorder......but they're more expensive

Recommendations for a basic mike that I've heard are for the Sony mc957. I
haven't found one on ebay at a price to my liking so I'm still looking.  I hope
the more experienced recordists aren't laughing about my microphone.  It was
all I had at the time.  I'm just starting the lengthy playback and editing to
the PC so maybe I'll post some of the recordings to ID the birds/frogs once I'm
done.  I'll forward an email I received from Walter Knapp when I asked some of
the same questions last month.  It was very helpful.

Karl Lucas