Re: no FAQ for a beginner?

Subject: Re: no FAQ for a beginner?
From: "yodrez" <>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:27:01 -0000
Fair enough: I just didn't want to bother such a large group with
newbie stuff. Here goes:

I want to record the birds, frogs, and insects in a specific
location which includes marshlands, lakeshore, and forest. I want to
isolate individual songs and I also want to record ambient sounds
throughout the year.

2. I realize that this will probably entail getting at least 2
microphones, but I don't want to break the bank until I've learned
which end of a mic to hold.

While there will be some scientific application (I'm helping to
document changes during restoration of a large wetlands area and the
recordings might be useful for training), super-high quality isn't
completely critical.

Ultimately, the recordings will be used in conjuction with
photographs in a CD compilation of wildlife in my region for sales
to locals, tourists, and schools.=20

I'm hoping I can get started for under $1000-1500.

Stop laughing.

I am a semi-competent intermediate at using Audition (formerly
CoolEdit), so the software part is OK.

I need "Nature Recording Equipment and Techniques 101". I also
need specific recommendations regarding brands, models, quality
trade-offs, etc. Can you direct me to some quality websites, user
groups, and mailing lists? Bargain sites?

TIA

Dan

--- In  "Rich Peet" <>