Re: Seeking Low-cost Commercially Available Parabolic system

Subject: Re: Seeking Low-cost Commercially Available Parabolic system
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:37:27 -0000
 Mark Griswold  wrote:

> what if you got a telinga replacement dish    $100 ?
> and made a pvc handle (see below)less than $100
> and got a shure 183 $100
> and had someone change the plug less than $100
> then you could add another 183 for stereo $100
> and still be under budget.

That's exactly what I was thinking, Mark.

I too made a handle with pvc plumbing and it works quite well. It
took while to decide which parts would work best, since the hardware
store had a wide assortment of parts to choose from. For my current
design, all of the connections thread together =96 no gluing
necessary.  I did modify a fitting using a hacksaw to cut it shorter
to make a nut, and I made my own clamping discs out of plastic and
neoprene using a drill, a file, scissors, and a knife.  I will try
to get some pictures up next time I borrow a camera.=20
-John Hartog

P.S.
Walt has a diagram and some pictures of his basic handle design
posted in his webspace
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/quickparabolic.html