Re: Marantz 660

Subject: Re: Marantz 660
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:05:14 -0600
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the R-1 issues.

Yea.  Up until this morning I was prepared to list it's
good points and give it good marks for its USB interface,
but it hung my iBook twice this morning by momentarily
dropping the USB connection while I was copying files from
it.  Granted I was using less than fresh batteries, and
got a good copy after change to backup batteries.
Give the R-1 good marks for data and low marks for
battery monitor/low battery operation.

Oh, and it does actually record sound.  I ran the built-in
mics at 24-bit stereo WAV out in brisk wind for this 1st
Tuesday of the month's Civil Defense Siren test.

> Do you think the noise level on the mic inputs on the 660
> will be okay for quiet locations?

That remains to be seen.  I care more about headroom for live
music and almost always use my Earthworks omnis, that need
near max current 48 volt phantom.  As long as the gain structures
are such that I can get 60 dB into 16-bit's 90 dB range without
distorting at the top, then I'll consider a low absolute noise floor
as pleasant bonus.

> Have you been able to find 660 specs? I see the 670 is listed as "65dB Si=
gnal
> to Noise Ratio."

Still no specs... or more importantly, independent test reports.

-- Mike