Re: Marantz 660

Subject: Re: Marantz 660
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:11:36 -0600
Lang Elliott wrote:

> When is the Marantz PMD 660 supposed to appear on the scene?

I saw one dealer site taking pre-orders and claiming to be
getting the 1st batch.  My preferred dealer says sometime in
March.  Looks like $500 street.

I've got an Edirol R-1 that's dissapointed me on several fronts,
the most recent being the clunky user interface doesn't let
you see the value of settings at the list level -- you have to
go down into edit mode.  I tried to set it to stereo, but the
exit sequence is ambiguous and I wound up putting it back in
mono for a demo session.  I didn't discover that until I was
processing the tracks later and noticed L & R tracks were
identical.  I haven't determined for sure if it mixed the
L & R inputs, or just duplicated L onto R, but the .WAV file
was two tracks.

I'm planning to get the Marantz 660 and keep the R-1 long
enough to do a head-to-head comparison, but I really don't
won't to lug around an AC powered outboard preamp for my
P48 mics, so I think the Marantz wins already.

The demo tracks are on my web site -- email me for URL.
They're 24 bit wav Left channel converted to 16 bit aiff
then 160 kbps mp3.  Input chain was Earthworks SRO ->
M-Audio Duo -> Edirol R-1 @ 24-bit WAV MONO.  Bluegrass.

-- Mike