Re: intro & Qs

Subject: Re: intro & Qs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:53:24 -0500
From: Ken  Durling <>

> Thanks, Martyn, fascinating stuff.  SASS's are new to me, and a Google
> reveals a few brands out there.  As I'm poking around, anything to look o=
ut
> for, stay away from?

The modified SASS forms the wide/close end of my mic assortment. If I
want to pick up a wide area and it's right close in front of me, I'll
nearly always start with the SASS/MKH-20.

I view my mic setups as being various coverage of stereo spaces. A lot
like various camera lenses cover different widths of scene. But with
mics it's 2d at least, with depth of scene and closeness of scene
entering in too.

> Yes, eventually a DAT or MD is in the cards.  I agree about the visibilit=
> of a notebook screen, although I have one with a "Brightview" screen - an=

> HP zd7000 - that is remarkably good.  I've only used it for reading maps=

> outdoors so far though.

DAT is virtually dead. The mechanisms are not being made anymore, and
they are using up old stock. And there is only one factory still making
tape.

> I'm going out in the field tomorrow, so I'm very curious what my CM-300s=

> will pick up.

That's the trick, the only real test is to get out there and record.
Everything else is guesses.

> Speaking of specialized mics, in an issue of the Wildlife Society Bulleti=
> (Fall 2002) I'm reading about an interesting omni system consisting of tw=
> horizontally oriented parabolic dishes facing each other's convex sides,=

> with a "CVX" mic at the center.  The CVX's mentioned in the article
> described as
>
> "combining the acoustic properties of a pressure-zone mic and an acoustic=
al
> transformer. Sensitivity is increased because sound is reflected from a
> hard surface, creating a zone of increased sound pressure. The microphone=

> also acts as an acoustical transformer, in which sound enters a large
> aperture and then is compressed into a smaller area, increasing sound
> pressure and thereby gain..  Both techniques amplify sound mechanically,=

> thereby avoiding distortions due to electronic amplification."
>
> The mics are made by River Forks Research Corp.  Their purpose, at least =
as
> described in this article, is as a "fire and forget" field mic designed t=
> be installed and left for long periods of time for population studies, so=

> the emphasis is clearly on sensitivity, not necessarily quality.  Anyone=

> familair with any of this?

Rich Peet is the person to ask about these. The version of a while back
was using Panasonic capsules, so high on self noise for quality
recording. Done with good mics it looks like a interesting design. I'd
love to experiment with making a MKH mic version.