Re: intro & Qs

Subject: Re: intro & Qs
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:25:20 -0600
At 6:40 PM +0000 2/22/05, Rich Peet wrote:
>--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>
>>  Understanding the impressions of movement you can create with your 4
>>  channel system with your music compositions shoud provide some
>>  valuable clues. Acoustic settings are often less dramatic and harder
>>  to image with mics than what's possible with artifical panning of
>>  mono elements.
>>
>>  Here's one example. I made a stereo recording with 21" spaced omnis
>>  of a large flock of seagulls circling above me about 10-75' feet for
>>  about 3 minutes. Listening at home,  I noticed that my ability to
>>  track the bird motions in stereo was limited to 2, at most 3 birds at
>>  a time even though 10 or more were calling in flight at any given
>>  moment. My attention seemed geared to pick out only the closer moving
>>  birds with the rest of the birds becoming a stationary background
>>  plane in my mind. I would guess that the further away the birds, the
>>  more difficult it would be to articulate their motion.
>>

>Having made the same recording by a different technique of the same
>flock Rob described I will add.  I captured the same problem in
>binaural that Rob talks of.
>
>Herring gulls are just plain hard to capture in a stereo field.  This
>is from their short duration burst of sound while in flight and their
>flight patterns are that of independent birds in different directions.=A0=
=A0=A0

>Other species in large flocks doing continous calls also make
>detection of movement difficult when they are not in unison movement.
>Linked is a large flock walking slowly by in all directions and its
>movement is close to impossible to hear for the same reasons.  An
>easier stereo image is a large flock of different species perched or
>sitting on the ground.  Also a large flock that is moving in unison so
>that they become one moving sound source is easy and sounds good.
>

>700kb download
>http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/geese.mp3
>
>Rich Peet

Is that the pitch "smear" on the attack of their
calls thats creates the illusion of motion?  I
assume the loud guy on the right is stationary
but its almost as if his calls move to the middle
a little bit every time. The pumping-hovering
bee-like cant that is phasing back and forth is a
trip! Is that a brief grouse towards the middle?
Car subwoofers?

The Herrings were a little less dense than th
eMilwaukee harbour gull encounter I was
recalling--  but your're right about the brief
call durations. Reminds me that I could also hear
the wing swoops pretty in the ones that stood
out.  That sound triggers some circuits no doubt.
.
Thanks for sharing the geesers. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D
--