RE: intro & Qs

Subject: RE: intro & Qs
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:40:14 -0800
Welcome Ken.

Unfortunately I can not help you with the Nakamichi CP-4's; I do not have
any experience with them. I am not so sure how they would hold up in outdoo=
environments.....
But I do have plenty of experiences with recording large flocks over many
years; I have never used solely shotgun mics. To record flocks and ambient
sounds I currently use a SASS setup, I prefer 2 MKH-20's set into a modifie=
crown unit kindly made by the great Walter Knapp.
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/my_mod_sass.html

Before that I used a mid-side combination of MKH-60/MKH-30 and got great
results. For close-up calls from the flocks I would never go anywhere
without my Telinga Pro V with DAT stereo mic www.//telinga.com
Doug our moderator also sells these here in North America in between being
Mayor :)

Recording outside with a laptop has its benefits and drawbacks, I personall=
prefer a recorder, I have tried a laptop but in daylight, the glare on the
screen drove me insane. There are more benefits of using a recorder over th=
laptop; one of the main considerations is instant access and time buffers.
Battery power is also easily accounted for; laptops eat the juice and take
forever to re-charge unless you carry back-ups.
This is a recording of Sandhill cranes in Nebraska using MKH60/MKH-30.
http://www.naturesound.org/Sound%20Files/Sandhill%2060-30.mp3

Just over 1 min about 1.2mb

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
http://www.naturesound.org
N47.65543   W121.98428
Redmond. Washington. USA
Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!