Re: man-made noise affecting birdsong

Subject: Re: man-made noise affecting birdsong
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:53:10 -0000
I am not a good personality match for working this type of fight but
would add this note and wish you the best.

I see the best defense is not toward the protection of wildlife but an
argument for the people.  The wildlife always seem to loose.

Try to have someone make the written "Multiple Usage" presentation.
One helicopter lays down a sound footprint in a canyon over 10 miles
square for a few passengers.  That is 100 square miles of land usage
for maybe four passengers while stationary and in an hour will have a
sound field usage of >500 square miles. Now in that same land area of
500 square miles there will always be more than X (fill in the blank)
users of the land that are there for the natural experience which
includes the natural sound of the area.  Obviously this helicopter use
is not in the best interest of utilization of the resource for all the
citizens.  For the sake of a few rich visitors the resource is
depleted for the most valued and overall $ contributing visitors.

Rich Peet