man-made noise affecting birdsong

Subject: man-made noise affecting birdsong
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:11:10 +1100
All,

Capertee Valley in New South Wales, Australia (where I live!) is being
considered for a proposal as an Important Bird Area on the register of
Birdlife International. The register of IBAs are considered to be the most
important bird areas globally and usually contain one or more globally
threatened species.

The other thing that is happening in our very peaceful, birdsong-filled
Capertee Valley is a proposal to run helicopter joy flights over the valley=
,
one flight every half hour, 7 days a week, 7 am to 7 pm.  We have 4 weeks t=
write our submissions against this proposal.

Our local environmental group is fighting the proposal tooth and claw!

We are looking for scientific papers relating to man-made noise and its
effect on birds, birdsong, and wildlife in general.  We hear there is one
study in Europe where noise from a freeway interfered with bird song which
in turn resulted in the abandonment of an area within the noise corridor as
breeding habitat.

Does anyone have a reference for this paper?  Or anything similar?

many thanks,

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW
AUSTRALIA.