Re: Fw: Recording Nature - What am I doing wrong?

Subject: Re: Fw: Recording Nature - What am I doing wrong?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:11:08 -0600
At 4:16 AM +0000 2/20/05, Ryan wrote:
>Thanks all for your responses,
>
>I didn't have a mount for the mic. I would just set it on a towel on
>the ground with the mics elevated into the air.

? ? ?  the recorder on the ground is okay, not the NT-4.

So you tied some rope on the mic and pulled it
into the air? You need to first suspend the mic
in some sort of shock mount. The rope can then be
attached to this. You also need some fake furr or
high loft fabric to surround it with-- at least
an 1" of dead on on all sides.

You can buy a hack saw and cut a 10" long piece
of 4' thin wall pvc pipe and 8- 1/4" deep slots
for some hefty rubber bands ay both ends to make
something like this:

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/203/PVC_ShockMounts4_NT4/Rory/DSC00064.JPG
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/203/PVC_ShockMounts4_NT4/Rory/DSC00066.JPG

that's vinyl gutter cover but you can use any sort of material like this.
you can "sew" a fake furr or other fluffy cloth jacket with safety pins.

>My mic seems to be broken now, now the left mic doesn't record any
>sounds. Perhaps the mic isn't as sturdy as I thought. I had it
>wrapped in a towel in a plastic bag in my pack when I traveled.

Sounds more like the 3.5mm stereo onnector is
broken unless the mic got conked hard on that
particular head. Wiggle and rotate the plug
around in the mic input jack to see if you can
get an intermittent connect to the left channel,
unscrew the cover on the 3.5mm mini plug and see
if the connections to all three connectors look
right. wiggle them. you can get a radio repair
shop to solder on a new connector for you.

You're getting a lesson everyone gets at some
point. Be resourceful, bet you can get it
working. Rob D.