Re: Recording Nature - What am I doing wrong?

Subject: Re: Recording Nature - What am I doing wrong?
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:43:35 +0100

> > Another effect of humidity in a "true" condensor mic is that the voltag=
> > between the electrode and the membrane will make the membrane stick to =
the
> > electrode until you switch the mic off. Then it might work again until =
> > little wind pushes the membrane against the electrode again.
>
>Klas - Does the added moisture make the membrane more sticky? If so,
>couldn't you surround the mic with a DC heating element the keep the
>membrane and electrode dry? Would the steady state magnetic field created =
by
>the heating coil affect the mic?
>
>Also I have used my Twin Science Telinga in conditions with 100% humidly
>with no noticeable ill effects. Is this normal for the condenser mic in my
>Telinga?
>
>Jim

A heater is a good idea which we used when open mic's were placed out in an=

area for recording frogs many years ago.  They were placed near the ground,=

where it was both cold and very humid. We had a car battery driving the
heaters. I don't see any reason why it should affect the performance of the=

mic.

Telinga Twin Science is a mic with two electrets, one omni and one
cardioid. The are not at all as sensitive to moist as a "true" condensor
mic with a high polarizing voltage.

My friend J=F6rgen makes the best mics in the world (self noise down at 6
dbA!! and perfectly linear) - but we have many times concluded that it
would be better to make electrets, if we could only get hold of electret
material, either for the membrane or a semi-conductive plastic material
which could be charged and used for electrodes.

Klas.