Re: Bluebird Mania

Subject: Re: Bluebird Mania
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:41:18 -0700
Excellent point about scratching up the interior of the box, Walt. The
insides of natural cavities certainly aren't like finished lumber! I learne=
that the hard way many years ago....put up a nice (or so I thought) box for
tree swallows...one soon checked it out, and I heard it scuffling around
inside the box for quite awhile. I thought it was merely 'inspecting', but =
check on progress a couple days later revealed a DEAD tree swallow...and it
hadn't been cold, nor had other birds been in the box. Apparently the desig=
was such that the bird couldn't quite fly back up to the hole, and was
trapped. As you say, it's likely more important for the chicks than the
adults, but I've never made another box without some sort of 'ladder' up to
the hole; I often staple some screening or wire mesh if I don't have the sa=
nearby.

I found your observation on hole size interesting. I've been making houses
with the 'recommended' 1 9/16 inch hole for mountain bluebirds (and so far
have attracted many many tree swallows) but will switch this year to 1 3/4
inches. There is no threat from sparrows or starlings where I put these
boxes.

On the topic of recording...I was at a meeting awhile back where someone wa=
showing the 'nest box cam' they were selling. Showed a very entertaining
'battle' between a wood duck hen & nest and a hooded merganser hen that was
trying to dump eggs. Describing the woody as 'intolerant' is being very
polite...this continued after hatching - the woody hen would put the run on
baby mergs that tried to follow her (obviously the hen hoody had been
successful in dropping a few eggs in the woody's nest). The sound quality
was abysmal, but the video was good.

Mark Phinney