Re: Bluebird Mania

Subject: Re: Bluebird Mania
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:24:42 -0500
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

> It's kinda like listening to the pied Piper Walt; the new boxes must be made
> too bloody well for them to be moving in so quickly, what's the recipe?
> I had put boxes up here last year (Not for bluebirds) and up to now, nothing
> doing!!!

I felt kind of like the pied piper, or under the eagle eye of a
supervisor. They looked like they knew what we were doing. Definitely a
unique experience. I do not think it's particular to the boxes, just the
exact timing.

> We have had that spring feel about this area too, up in the high 50's and
> low 60's and they say global warming is not a threat!!!
> In the mountains we have no snow and it's still January!!

You will probably be those temp when I'm out there in May too. But we
will be much hotter.

> I must admit though, I do love the spring and all the new voices that come
> with it.

Yep, the warm spells now are the start of the calling season.

> I am thinking of going up to Alaska this coming spring to record on the
> refuge before the Government gets their way with drilling.
> I have had many people asking if I have recordings from ANWR.
> I think it will be one of those places lost forever

That's because you think short term. In evolutionary or biologic terms
that strange species, humans, will be extinct soon. And it will go right
on. Evolving new species too.

> I too would like to see your diagrams for the Bluebird houses Walt.

Ok, here goes. First thing to remember is that bluebirds evolved before
there were people putting up standardized boxes for them. Quite a range
of cavity shape and size should be acceptable.

  Twenty years ago when we moved in here I got nestbox info primarily
out of government publications and did drawings of a number of
nestboxes. Here's the bluebird box from then:
http://naturerecordist.home.mindspring.com/Bluebird-Box.jpg

I built these on a table saw, and trimmed the boards to get a exact 5"x
5" inside size. Note the bottom board is inserted inside the side and
front and back boards. I used the regulation 1.5" hole. I placed the
boxes around the field, many on edge trees, some on fenceposts. Heights
from 4' to 6'. I built a total of 36 boxes in a number of sizes, placed
10 boxes for bluebirds. I'd seen bluebirds on the place, and first year
half the boxes were occupied. That's been about average ever since.
Other birds used some of the boxes, so total occupancy was actually
higher than this. Next winter many of the tree boxes were occupied by
flying squirrels. As many as 8 squirrels to the box. They would leave in
the spring, but too late for the birds. Some raised babies in the boxes
too, in the early spring. They would also enlarge the hole to 3" or so.
Flying squirrels are not too flighty, and you could open the box quietly
to look at them. They fill the box to the top with finely chewed vegetation.

So, over the next several years I moved some boxes, left some for the
squirrels. As a result the bluebirds would have the choice of the
original 1.5" hole, or a much larger chewed and irregular hole. They
definitely preferred the larger hole. A 1.5" hole is standard primarily
to exclude other birds, particularly starlings. But, I have only once
seen a starling at my place.

Anyway, I have needed to build more boxes for a couple years, some of
the old ones were very cracked, though still used. Based on my current
usage, where all boxes are on posts, so don't need the full length
backplate, I changed the design a bit. Here's a quick modification of
the original drawing to show the changes:
http://naturerecordist.home.mindspring.com/Bluebird-Box-2.jpg
I'm now cutting out boxes with a slide saw (similar to a contractors
chop saw) which is quicker than the table saw. I also am not cutting
down the boards, so the nest space is slightly larger. And, the front
board is cut normal length but mounted about 1/4" lower for a little
more ventilation, adjust that according to your climate. I'm also using
a 1 3/4" hole. And the top covers the whole box.

Regulation location rules for bluebirds say 100 yards between boxes. Or
about 2.5 acres or more per box. Height 3' to 8'. Box should face a bush
or tree that's within 100' of it, but be out in the open itself. Best
facing direction is east to north to keep down heat on the front of the box.

I am putting out 12 box locations this year. That's definitely more than
regulation. I'm using the spacing I've found to work here. 200' or a
little less for minimum, try to face boxes so they don't face a nearby
box that's line of sight. Do have the bush or tree out front, that's for
the male to sit on and for the young on their first flight. The new
boxes are being placed on a 8' landscape timber that's 2' in the ground,
for a 6' height. I put a 20" band of aluminum flashing on the post below
the box, primarily in case one of my cats get's the bright Idea to go
sit on the box. Note with the spacing I'm using some boxes won't be used
each year, but all get used sooner or later. The birds sort themselves out.

Note if you have starlings, you will probably have to stick with the
original 1.5" hole, or the new design 1 3/8" x 2 1/2" oval hole.
Realizing that either one won't be optimum. If you have house sparrows
or wrens they can be problems, even killing bluebirds. In that case
don't locate boxes near buildings, or near brush. Another competitor is
the tree swallows. They will use the same nests, though less likely if
you place the nests under 4'. Often what's done is place boxes in pairs
to have enough for both species. I have tree swallows, but they are
rare, and have not used my boxes. I'd love to have more of them.

On the other size boxes I placed in the woods, flying squirrels
dominate. Though other birds use them. The carolina wrens have never
used a box I've put up, preferring to nest in my workshop. Such cozy
spots as the drive belts on my drill press and such. They have also
nested in a spider plant that was hung 3' outside our front door. I'm
hanging one of the Colonial Williamsburg bird jars this year. A clay
nest that you hang on a screw under the eves. There's already birds that
nest on the outside light housings under the eves, including the one
just outside my window here.

I have the advantage here that I started out with bluebirds already
here. And few of the pests. It could take a while if they are not in
evidence. All you can do is place boxes in a variety of ideal locations
and wait. Once they start nesting you have it made as the young will
come back as well as the adults. I normally clean out the boxes this
time of year. I have very little parasite problems. Here, where the
birds are year round some will use the boxes for winter shelter. If I
want to inspect a box in the nesting season, I'll normally just use a
inspection mirror rather than opening the box. Mostly I just watch for
who is going in and out the boxes. I don't do the formal record keeping
that some do.