Re: Bluebird Mania

Subject: Re: Bluebird Mania
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:33:37 -0500
From: "J Young" <>

> Thanks for that bluebird box info Walt. I'm going to get busy putting som=
e together while this damn snow has me hanging around the homestead a bit m=
ore than usual.

One thing I realized I failed to mention. I normally score the inside of
the front board below the nest hole. Make it easier for the young to get
out, the adults seem to fly out straight from the floor. I just set the
saw height so it will only cut about 1/8" into the board and saw several
runs only in the center of the board below the hole. Kind of ladder
rungs for them. I've put up boxes with no scoring too and they work as well=
.

We cut out 8 boxes yesterday, but did not get them all assembled as we
ran out of siding screws. Took about 2 hours. We are using 12 siding
screws per box. Plus the 4 stainless for the front and the 2 mounting
screws.

Good luck getting the bluebirds going. If you get the boxes up early
enough you have a good chance. The males do a lot of early scouting,
which is what's really going on here right now. Later the females join
in and they are the ones that make the final choice from what the male
shows them.