Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs

Subject: Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:37:24 -0000

> Portability is a big issue, and rules out quite a few setups for day to
> day field use.
>
> My own feeling on using a low jet as a test subject for mics is that
you
> will have considerable phase interference patterns from reflections of
> the sound off nearby objects. At minimum you would want the same model
> jet flying the same path over the same location for any serious mic
> comparisons.

I don't think we need serious mic comparisons at this point.=20

We have wonderful large frozen lakes here right now.  That is where
the two of us were recording.  Actually a very nice spot for using
commercial jets as image checkers.  If I hadn't screwed up and had the
agc on my own recorder we would have had a good comparison of my foam
barrier to his large hard barrier for the same jet.

> The original inventor of the SASS, and others in the Crown research
> department will have probably already tested most of what folks will
> think of.

As you know this assumption I never accept as it would take the fun
out of it. :)

Rich