Re: Boundary Mics (was: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs)

Subject: Re: Boundary Mics (was: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs)
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:28:42 -0600
Walt wrote:

> ...while the SASS/MKH-20 is probably the ultimate modification of the
> SASS, it's possible to mount other mics in the SASS.
>
> <snip>
>
> The SASS is also a boundary mic, and that type of mic has not been
> sufficiently explored for nature recording potential. It is
> unfortunate that Crown has dominated boundary mics, and they don't
> have a philosophy of improving mic capsule sound quality. They use the
> same lower quality capsules that were used in the first experiments on
> boundary mics. A problem for nature recording. Why it was necessary to
> come up with a modified SASS.

I appreciate your insight about Crown, Walt. My interest in boundary
mics comes from my days as a music recording engineer. I found that a
pair of PZMs taped to the underside of a piano lid delivered wonderful
results in a wide range of settings. Source SPLs were sufficient that
noise specs of the capsules never was a major concern. I liked the
sound, and learned how to work them into some very nice multi-track
music projects. But as you say, nature recording is altogether
different. This year I experimented with a large boundary array
composed of two low-cost PZMs mounted back-to-back on a 2' square of
luan plywood. Stereo imaging was excellent, but noise specs of the mics
were disappointing, as you can imagine.

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

Rich Peet wrote:

> Curt, you can experiment with my sass anytime you wish.  Then you can
> decide if there is an image improvement over your massive barrier mic.

Thank you, Rich, I'd like to do that.

> There likely is more lobes of low frequency directional sound coming
> off of it but that did not appear huge and your barrier likely has
> more bass captured.  I will  listen again and see if I have a file
> with a passing jet from your mic to listen to after pitch shifting to
> make it more apparent.  Your massive barrier only had a weakness in
> being coupled to closely with the ground which transferrd some types
> of sounds.  That is something easily addressed.  There is the issue of
>  portability of course. :)
>

> Very nice image out of your barrier.  Only noticed that when a jet was
> directly overhead there was a dip in gain.

To fill you all in, I joined Rich for some lake ice recording on Sunday
morning Dec. 19th. He really knows his stuff. As he predicted, the lake
was booming like crazy when we got there around 10 AM and continued
non-stop for another hour until a thin cloud layer drifted overhead and
the phenomenon tapered off pretty quickly. I clamped my bulky PZM
barrier array to a saw horse and stood it out on the ice. Rich set out
a binaural array of ME-62s, and I walked around with a pair of Shure
Beta 58s in a modified ORTF arrangement. We both suffered some
equipment problems due to the cold, but here's one clip. It's the Betas
in contact with the ice -- edited down, with some gentle EQ applied:

http://www.trackseventeen.com/media/tsp/ice.mp3

Here's a clip Rich kindly e-mailed me yesterday. It's his
pitch-shifting study of an aircraft fly-over picked up by the
PZM/barrier array:

http://www.trackseventeen.com/media/tsp/jetonice.mp3

Eric wrote:

> There is a very nice reference on the use of "separation bodies" in
> stereo recording, in a book available on the Schoeps web site.=20
> Unfortunately it's in German, but it has lots of photos, including the
> Jecklin disc, an apparatus called "Clara", and spherical separation
> bodies:
>
> http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/miscellaneous.html
>
> The chapter on separation bodies is titled "Zwei Jahre
> Kugelfl=E4chenmikrofon"
>
> I have partially translated it and conceivably I could be persuaded to
> complete the translation if folks are really interested in reading it.

Thank you, Eric. I downloaded it and looked at the pretty pictures. I
personally would be interested in any of it you are willing to
translate -- especially from the chapter on separation bodies.

Curt Olson

UPDATE: When I rediscovered the old Crown GLM-100s a couple weeks ago,
I was so impressed that I disassembled the barrier array (too bulky,
too noisy) and the Beta 58 array (too mid-rangey). Then the other day I
managed to blow out the FET on one of my GLMs. That was all the excuse
I needed to order some WL-183s. From everything I've read and heard
here lately, I expect to be well pleased.