Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs

Subject: Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:59:50 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: Curt Olson <>
>
> > I failed to acknowledge the modified SASS. I know that others here
use
> > them too. You've reminded me to put the SASS on my list of things to
> > experiment with when I get the chance.
>
> What some seem to fail to realize is that while the SASS/MKH-20 is
> probably the ultimate modification of the SASS, it's possible to mount
> other mics in the SASS. Any mic with a exposed diaphragm can
probably be
> fitted. What I mean by that is that the diaphragm is not buried down
> inside a solid housing but just behind a grill so it can be close
> coupled to the boundary. As a example the first SASS I fitted uses the
> MKH-110, which is a antique, and a lot less money than a MKH-20 when
you
> find one. The results you get will be dependent on the characteristics
> of the mics you use, of course.
>
> The SASS is also a boundary mic, and that type of mic has not been
> sufficiently explored for nature recording potential. It is unfortunate
> that Crown has dominated boundary mics, and they don't have a
philosophy
> of improving mic capsule sound quality. They use the same lower quality
> capsules that were used in the first experiments on boundary mics. A
> problem for nature recording. Why it was necessary to come up with a
> modified SASS.

Curt, you can experiment with my sass anytime you wish.  Then you can
decide if there is an image improvement over your massive barrier mic.
 There likely is more lobes of low frequency directional sound comming
off of it but that did not appear huge and your barrier likely has
more bass captured.  I will listen again and see if I have a file with
a passing jet from your mic to listen to after pitch shifting to make
it more apparent.  Your massive barrier only had a weakness in being
coupled to closely with the ground which transferrd some types of
sounds.  That is something easily addressed.  There is the issue of
portability of course. :)

With the SASS patent expired there is no downside in people working on
there own similar designs now.  The barrier with foam divider itself
is not that complex for one to build with many improvements possible.

Rich