Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs

Subject: Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:07:45 -0600
Dan Dugan wrote:

> My "Jecklin Disc" is my neck, because I mount my spaced omnis on my
> shoulders. I get a pleasing perspective on phones and on stereo
> speakers, and as a bonus good surround effects when decoded with Dolby
> Pro Logic II (music mode).

I recall you posted a photo of this a while back. I'm guessing that
"hands free" is a nice benefit in addition to the sound itself. Good
also compared to head-worn mics, as you can move your head freely
without disturbing the stereo image. But I would expect a fair amount
of noise from clothing, movement, etc. What's been your experience in
that regard? How do you minimize it?

> I've just tried out my rig (with a dummy head, up about ten feet high)
> on an orchestra concert in a big church. 183s and Sharp MD-MT90
> minidisc did that very nicely! I had an outrigger pair of rear 183s
> taped to pillars on either side of the church, recording on a Sharp
> 722. I transferred the discs to Pro Tools last night and synched up
> front and rear. Overly reverberant, of course, but very natural
> sounding, full and pleasant to listen to.

Multi-track using multiple recorders. Something I have considered
before, but always dismissed. I may need to reconsider...

Curt Olson