Re: hat mic

Subject: Re: hat mic
From: Dave <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:35:05 -0700
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 11:07:26AM -0400, Walter Knapp wrote:

[snip]

> This, of course brings up one of the problems with any kind of head worn
> mic, you must be very organized in how you move your head. It's now the
> panning support for the mics, and any movement of your head is a pan.
> Hear a bird off to the side you can't just jerk your head around to look
> at it, you must pan the soundfield.
>
> I prefer the head like mics I can handhold for this and other reasons. I
> can turn my head all I want while keeping my hand steady. I still have
> to properly pan when moving my hand.

Maybe I'm just out of shape (I am :)  but I also find the breath sounds
I get while walking any distance to be distracting, with my little omnis
clipped to my eyeglass temples.

BTW, I used my CAD M179 / AKG C480b/CK61 / modified (read: kludged)
Rycote combo this weekend and the last.  With string-wound hair ties for
support, it's *incredibly* sensitive to handling noise.  And it's HEAVY.
3.5 lbs with windscreen.  Hell on a boom.

I've ordered a sheet of Sorbothane from Edmund Scientific to try to make
suspension bands out of.