Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:22:08 +0200 (MEST)
Walt,

I can't resist to reply to the other points you mentioned.

>The point is to say that ATRAC can be
>overwhelmed by a single call at any
>distance is a joke. As those of us
>with extensive experience with minidisc
>in real recording know.

Not a joke! Complex (broad-band) calls may indeed push ATRAC push to its
limits.

What is your interpretation of the missing harmonic in the middle of the
second call?

http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/compression/MDtest2MD.gif

As you can see clearly on the waveform, there is for sure no clipping at
that location (the amplitude is much higher at the start of the call).

> Now, remember that DC offset? Well, it's
> also a nice way to introduce extra noise
> in a recording. Digital equipment is
> designed for signals that are symmetric
> around the zero line, and will produce
> noise from the DC offset. It's why good
> sound editors have the ability to
> recalculate the samples to remove the offset.

This is obviously one of the esoteric assumptions circulating among
audiophiles. To my knowledge, small DC offsets never produce noise. What
would be the explanation for that?

I would also doubt that there is any significant DC offset in that recording
(http://www.naturesongs.com/recordists/MDtest2.wav).

Also note that a (perfectly recorded) waveform does not necessarily need to
be fully symmetric around the zero line. Harmonics with certain phase
relations may indeed produce waveforms that are not symmetric. A nice
example for that would be human speech.

> I had thought better of your technical
> abilities. You lowered my estimate of
> your ability with this novice error.
> Try to become familiar with the equipment
> you are testing before testing.

Thanks for your kind compliments...

> And, if you get closer, lower the gain
> appropriately to avoid clipping. It is
> actually the point of getting closer,
> to lower the gain so less of the background
> noise is picked up. It's not a argument
> against ATRAC that you can force a
> minidisc to clip, you can force any
> digital recorder to clip. It has a long
> history in anti-minidisc, it's Cornell's
> main argument to this day. And is as
> wrong from them as here.

As you might imagine, I know what clipping is...

What I meant is that a microphone gradually
captures more high-frequency components when
you are recording at shorter distances.

Raimund