Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:20:31 +0200 (MEST)
Hi Julie,

I would like to explain a different perspective. I know that the majority o=
the Nature Recordist group emotionally favors the MiniDisk system and I
don't want to re-launch the previous passionate discussion on that subject
;-) However, there are also a few arguments that suggest to use a recorder
that is able to record without compression (e.g. the Marantz solid state
recorder)

It is true that the potential ATRAC compression artifacts are often less
dramatic than expected. However, the ATRAC artifacts heavily depend on the
frequency content of the recordings. Large signal bandwidths (e.g. noisy
sounds or high-pitched whistles with harmonics) may push the ATRAC
compression algorithm to it's limits. This is often not a problem because
there is usually only little energy above about 8 kHz if you are recording
at larger distances from the sound sources (higher frequency components wil=
be attenuated while traveling over large distances). Things will change whe=
you get closer to your subject or if you use a parabolic reflector.
Consequently, the energy of the harmonics will rise. Unfortunately, the
ATRAC algorithm does not only distort these high-frequency components - it
then also degrades the more important lower frequency components. As you
might imagine, the opportunities for approaching a subject very close are
usually rare. So, I would be very disappointed, if my recorder failed to
capture those close-distance sounds appropriately. An example of such
artifacts can be seen on the following spectrogram of a MiniDisk recording
(made with a pro-level MD Recorder):

http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/compression/MDtest2MD.gif

The following spectrogram shows the same (undistorted) signal that has been
simultaneously recorded onto a DAT recorder (a CF recorder running without
compression would produce the same result):

http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/compression/MDtest2DAT.gif

One of the artifacts is a temporarily higher noise floor that can be much
higher than the self-noise level of the microphone or the recorder
electronics.

The overall quality of a recording system is always limited by the weakest
component within the entire signal chain. In certain recording situations
(at close distances), the ATRAC compression system might become the weakest
part (instead of the microphone or the preamplifier).

This is of course my personal opinion...

See also http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/compression/compression.htm for more
details.

Best regards,

Raimund Specht