Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
From: Dave <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:39:32 -0700
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:36:35PM -0700, Aaron Ximm wrote:

[snip stuff about Sony's psychosis]

> Watching all this like a hawk... Sony has taken so much bad press for
> their Janus-like contradictory impulses on such fronts that I maintain a
> glimmer of hope they will fix this in version 2.1 of their software.

I haven't been following all of this closely, but just a few minutes
ago while searching the web I found something posted to a forum yesterday
about a possible solution:

    http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?s=3Dc71a37258cdf1a7eaad0180=
794905850&p=3D891557&postcount=3D28

        We are developing a software application called the Hi-MD wave
    converter (as a companion to Sonic Stage) that will allow the consumer
    to convert the uploaded files (that were recorded from the Hi-MD) into
    WAV. By doing so, the file will be unleashed from any security and the
    consumer will have the flexibility to do whatever they want with the
    file (burn, edit, convert to MP3 etc.) using any audio application.

    This application will only convert content that has been recorded
    through the line-in via an "analog" interface. In other words
    recordings that are made through the line-in via a "digital" interface
    need to be protected from duplication under AHRA (Audio Home Recording
    Act). It is a law that all digital recording device manufacturers must
    follow (since 1992).

    The software will be available for free from our Walkman support site.

[the poster] asked when it would be available and they said:

    I think the fall. I don't have exact timing yet.

I'm not holding my breath, though.  And assuming the nebulous "digital"
input to these recorders is s/pdif, it still means that strapping your
pocket Hi-MD recorder to a Mini-Me or Lunatec won't give you linear
PCM storage with digital transfer out.