Re: Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?

Subject: Re: Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:41:14 -0400
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

> <In a few weeks I will be recording the volcano on the big Island of Hawaii
> which is active.>
>

> I was out at the big island a few weeks ago, for you to record the volcano
> will be extremely difficult to say the least! Lava is flowing into the sea
> at the moment so to record this; you would also get lots of ocean noises,
> camouflaging the sound of any lava flow.
> To reach the top of Pu`u `O`o, this is extremely hard terrain and difficult.
> Mostly, very dangerous, I went in March and the heat of the day was
> excessive to say the least, now in June you will find this uncomfortable.
> Noise pollution around the Volcano from aircraft is constant.
> Having said all this, I did get some recordings using a more directional mic
> rather than an omni mic, if you can use a shotgun or the excellent Telinga
> your chances will increase somewhat.
> Don't expect anything like the soundtrack from "EARTHQUAKE" you will be
> disappointed. On the other hand, getting into the uplands to record endemics
> is worth the visit.

My thought was that there should be a fairly high infrasound content. If
I were doing it, I'd probably try my SASS/MKH-110 on it. Otherwise the
Telinga is probably a good choice. But there is no single best mic, even
for this. You will get different aspects with each mic you try.

I bet you can get it without airplanes if you do it at night. The
volcano does not care day or night, but the tourists do. Don't know if
that's allowed.