Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?

Subject: Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:59:25 EDT
Hi everyone
 Im new to this group. I do a lot of field recording. In a few weeks I will
be recording the volcano on the big Isalnd of Hawaii , which is active. I have
a new portable dat, a Tascam DAP1 and I would like to use a reallly good mic
to catch details in the sounds, but one  (or two) which is (are) also easy to
transport and durable.
 I used to have a Sony portable walkman dat and the standard stereo Audio
Technica mic which comes with it but found that the sound quality was not very
good, a lot of frequencies seemed to be missing in all of those recordings and
there was some noise.
 The Tascam DAP1 unfortunately doesnt have one mini jack which allows for one
stereo mic, so I may have to use two, or maybe I should just do a mono
recording?
 Any advice?
 Thanks!
 naturerecordist