Re: Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?

Subject: Re: Best mic for recording with Tascam portable dat?
From: "fieldrecordist" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:47:23 -0000
Thanks Walter!

> My thought was that there should be a fairly high infrasound
content. If
> I were doing it, I'd probably try my SASS/MKH-110 on it. Otherwise the
> Telinga is probably a good choice. But there is no single best mic,
even
> for this. You will get different aspects with each mic you try.>>

It seems like the shotgun telinga might be the best? I have never
really thought of doing directional mono recordings but that might be
a good idea for me. I already have one binaural mic from sonic
studios. I wonder if there is some way I could use something as a home
made parabola, like an umbrella hat or something?

> I bet you can get it without airplanes if you do it at night. The
> volcano does not care day or night, but the tourists do. Don't know if
> that's allowed.

Good idea about the nighttime thing. I am planning on staying there a
few nights so I would like to try that.