Re: for all you high end surround heads out

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:31:34 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> Lang-
> I agree about the mp2 pots, as smooth as they are, I'm always moving
> them by mistake.

I found once I put the mp2 in the PortaBrace case designed for it that
accidental moving of the settings became a thing of the past. The case
keeps it from bumping into things.

The Radio Shack unit isn't good enough; the Triplett
> unit I borrowed for an installation worked okay. A unit that goes
> below 40dB or even 30dB would be great, but might be too pricey. Can
> anybody recommend a good brand model to be on the outlook for?  Rob D.

The problem in sound meters is that the mic they use has to be quiet
enough. The price really climbs below about 20-30dB. And, of course if
you get the 1/3 octave filter set it adds a lot too. Not sure if that's
what you are looking for. All kinds of sound meters turn up on ebay.
Though you will want a good calibrator, which might cost as much as the
meter. There are two lines of sound meters, those certified good enough
to be used in a court case, which is really just a paper trail, and
those not. Often the same meter, but the little piece of paper costs a
lot. If you are not getting into legal wrangles, you can save a lot of
money buying without the paper.