surround recording

Subject: surround recording
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:25:36 -0500
re stands:
With omnis looking at sounds at a distance, Klas'
advice to get the mics as high as possible does
seem to be very good. There's less comb filtering
from the ground and the local reflections can be
much more defined with height. 7 feet is
noticeably better than 4' and  20-30' is better
yet.  Rich's birthday helium balloon wireless mic
approach is a must for our Spring 05 surround
demo. I'm looking into hi-end wireless
transmiters (Letrosonics) to put spring clamps on
because it usually works out that I can locate
trees that work better than my stands. I can also
tuck an protective umbrella into the branches for
a wind break and/or rain shelter if needed. Can't
do this on a free-standing stand. The problem
with wireless, beyond interference, is most units
use a compander circuit for noise reduction. I
used the DBX compander system for reel to reel
for years and it was not kind to low signal
levels. I'll be running some tests to see how
well the letronics can cope with quiet settings.
I agree that ways for quickly handling wire is
one of the most important considerations.  On my
upcoming trip along the Mississippi River in MO
and AR, I plan to run out two wide cardioids
(NT1A's)  on stands or spring clamps at 24 bit
and spot locate 1-2 backpacks with MD recorders
with M-S mics. (I start both packs running
between the wide mics, sync them all and carry
them out. MD's are astonishingly speed accurate).
I could run the wires to my laptop but I'm going
for the extra minutes of sound for short stops.
I'll be fighting bugs, and not bears too. Thank
you. Rob D.