Re: surround recording

Subject: Re: surround recording
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:56:38 -0500
At 2:51 PM -0700 6/29/04, Dan Dugan wrote:
>ROB DANIELSON:

snip
>The M-S pairs might go LF/RF with LR/RR or
>  >LR/LF with RR/FR and even LR/C and RR/C  or RR/LF with LR/RF. I try
>  >to find the "scale" that a set of files seems to want to present.
>  >Sometimes I get lucky and guess at the right scale in the field, but
>  >not often. Its alchemy at this stage of learning.
>
>I agree it's an artistic choice how to distribute the channels you
>get. I'm totally confused by your channel abbreviations.

Sorry. Let's just say there are many possible combinations!

>  >Lucky I guess. Yes, I try to tail slate.  For a class project, we ran
>>4 (MT-90) MD's for 70+ mins and found the drift between them was on
>>the order of one second.
>
>In sound travel time, that's 1,150 feet at normal temperature, or 16
>feet per minute, not good synch at all.

What an interesting way to think of it: time-space drift. To get the
74 min takes in sync by changing the sample rate, 1 second per 4400
is too small to create a noticeable pitch shift.  MD's are on par
with traditional 16mm film "sync" which was +/- 4 frames (1/6 second)
in 11 mins wasn't it?

>Since my main stereo mics are body-mounted, I usually do 2-10 min
>takes, though my longest was 40 minutes. One does get stiff holding
>still that long.
>
>-Dan Dugan

I'm hoping to get back to something more like a hiking system with
the 744 and maybe the letrosonics-- if they ever make the 744. Dozing
off with headphones in a tent or van with mics spread all around is a
lot of fun too. Rob D