Re: surround recording

Subject: Re: surround recording
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:16:12 -0700
Rob Danielson wrote:
>re stands:
>With omnis looking at sounds at a distance, Klas'
>advice to get the mics as high as possible does
>seem to be very good. There's less comb filtering
>from the ground and the local reflections can be
>much more defined with height. 7 feet is
>noticeably better than 4' and  20-30' is better
>yet.

Another way to avoid comb filtering would be to use a PZM on the ground...

>The problem
>with wireless, beyond interference, is most units
>use a compander circuit for noise reduction. I
>used the DBX compander system for reel to reel
>for years and it was not kind to low signal
>levels.

Maybe it was out-of-range on the quiet stuff? I don't recall a
problem with that in my dbx years.

>(I start both packs running
>between the wide mics, sync them all and carry
>them out.

So you use separate recorders for the wide rear left and right?

>MD's are astonishingly speed accurate)

You're either lucky or not noticing. Do you do a tail synch to check
for drift? The two Sharps that Sharon and I use drift a few inches
apart per minute. With the wide-spaced rears it won't matter much,
anyway.

-Dan