Re: Tried and trusted friends

Subject: Re: Tried and trusted friends
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:05:00 -0000
Mic was a MKH-110 to a consumer minidisk recorder set at the point
that I had previously id'd as a lek. Manual record level set for near
field recording and I assumed the birds would come back to the same
spot as identified on three locations. I set the recorder for mono
and turned it on one hour before first light and with a 80 min md in
mono I could let it go for 160 mins. This sample was one of the first
arrivals just pre-dawn

I assume this is just two males you hear in this sample.  I am not
the expert Lang is in Lek behavior as I lack the formal schooling and
can get myself into trouble fast.  I find the Leks much less
organized for these guys than the Greater Prairie Chickens that seem
to form formal circles of dominance within a single lek. It also
appears that the neck balloons don't actually eminate sound as in the
Greater Prairie Chicken. But that also is just my observations.

Rich

--- In  Lang Elliott <>